When we think of Mexican food, most of us are familiar with Tex-Mex cuisine that is readily available in supermarkets and restaurants outside of Mexico. However, Mexican cuisine is so much more! It is easily recognizable for its fresh and vibrant flavors as well as its regionality. Staple ingredients include corn, beans, chilis, fresh veggies, local cheeses, and flavorful herbs, spices, and citrus. The breadth of Mexican cuisine varies widely across the country, using a variety of different ingredients depending on influences from its neighbors to the north and south.
At Linguajoy our fantastic Club Español teacher Margarita hails from Monterrey, Mexico and she would love to share with you four authentic Mexican recipes which you can make and share with your family and friends! They are simple and quick to make, and the ingredients are accessible in your nearest supermarket. Have fun cooking some delicious Mexican food! ¡Buen provecho!
1) The Best Guacamole
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 avocados
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion (yellow or purple)
- 1 jalapeño chili (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- First, cut very finely the tomato, onion, coriander, and the jalapeño chili.
- Split the avocados in half, take the avocado flesh out and place it in a bowl.
- Smash the avocado with a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, add salt and pepper, (to taste) some lime juice (to taste) and mix everything together
2) Enchiladas de pollo con salsa verde
Ingredients for the salsa verde:
- Quarter of an onion
- 3 red tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- 3 jalapeño chilies (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 garlic clove
- 20 cilantro leaves.
- Chicken stock
- Boil hot water in a cooking pot.
- When the water starts to boil add the tomatoes and the jalapeño chilies. Boil for approximately 10 – 15 minutes, or until you see the skin of the tomatoes starting to peel off.
- Carefully, take out the tomatoes and the jalapeño chilies and add them to a blender, along with the onion, the avocados, the garlic clove, and the cilantro leaves.
- Add the amount of chicken stock you want (depending on how watery you want your salsa).
- Blend everything together, until everything is smooth and well combined.
Ingredients for the chicken enchiladas (4 servings):
- Corn tortillas
- 400 grams of chicken breast (you can cook the chicken in a pan and then cut it into small pieces or you can boil the chicken so that it is shredded).
- Cheese of your preference (preferably melting cheese).
- In a baking dish spread a little salsa verde on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Put your chicken in the tortillas, roll them, and place them on the baking dish.
- Add more salsa verde on top and spread with cheese.
- Put the baking dish in a 180°C for 15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Enjoy!
3) Chicken/meat tacos in the oven
Ingredients (10 servings):
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Cooked shredded chicken, meat, tofu or e.g. quinoa
- Taco seasoning (*optional*)
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (or 2 cups of diced tomato)
- Taco Shells
- ½ can of refried beans
- 2 cups of cheese
- Preheat over to 400F (95 Celsius)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet.
- Add onion to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes (or until the onion is translucent and fragrant).
- Add the chicken, taco seasoning, and tomatoes and stir everything together.
- Bake the taco shells for 5 minutes by themselves to allow them to crisp up, and then remove from the oven.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of beans into the bottom of each taco shell. Top with the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle each shell generously with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from the oven, and top with your favorite items such as jalapenos, sour cream, cilantro, etc.
4) Mexican corn on the cob
- Corn on the cob
- Mayonnaise, Salt, Lime & Coriander
- Grill the corn for 4-5 minutes, or until you see that the corn starting to get a little brown. Take off the grill. Add mayonnaise, lime, and a pinch of salt, along with chopped coriander. If you want to add anything else, you can!